Friday, May 25, 2012

Review - Maybelline XXL Pro Extensions Waterproof Mascara VS. Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara

I mentioned a couple posts ago that I hate the Rimmel Lash Accelerator mascara I've been using for the past few weeks. I started using it because it claims to make your lashes appear "117% longer after just one month." Uhhh...yeah right. After using it for a few weeks I see absolutely zero difference in the length of my lashes. It also clumps and smudges everywhere, and doesn't hold a curl. My lashes almost look even worse after putting the mascara on, if that's even possible. I kept using it even though I hated it, hoping to see a long-term difference in the length, but that's not happening so finally I decided to chuck this horrible mascara.

I used to use a Maybelline mascara with the white primer wand on one end, and I remember really liking it so I decided to try one of those again. I read a tip somewhere that waterproof mascaras hold a curl better, so I settled on this Maybelline XXL Pro Extensions Waterproof mascara. It claims to "tame unruly lashes" and boost length up to "85%."

I LOVE this mascara! It's one of my favorites that I've ever tried. The Step 1 primer side does seem to separate and straighten out my lashes that like to poke out every which way, although it doesn't weigh down my curl. The Step 2 mascara side builds on top of the primer to add length and volume, again not weighing down the curl. I also really like the brush on this mascara. The Rimmel brush would ALWAYS get mascara on my eyelid, but this brush doesn't do that. The only thing I find annoying is that because of the dual-sided packaging, the wand is really short so the tube bumps against my cheekbone when I'm trying to get the lashes on the very ends. But that's really not a big deal. The formula isn't "wet" like the Rimmel one so I can use the tip of the brush to get the baby lashes without getting clumps all over the place.

Here are some photos of the process:
Bare, uncurled lashes. Yeah, I know they suck.
Curled lashes using the hair dryer method (see below).
Step 1 primer side. 2 coats.
Step 2 mascara side. 2 coats.
Comparison shot! Ignore the fact that I look cross-eyed.
So yeah, pretty awesome results for my short, stubby, straight blonde lashes. I realize now they look a bit clumpy, but I'm willing to give and take a bit when it comes to having curlier, longer lashes.

Edited to add: I wrote this review before I actually wore this mascara out and about for the day. At the end of the day I had black smudges all over my under-eye area! Not good. I'm not sure if it's just because it was super hot and humid today, or if it's the mascara. That's a big negative, although it probably won't deter me from continuing to wear it until I find something better.

P.S. Here's a tip for curling your lashes that I just discovered! Blast your lash curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds before curling. It made a HUGE difference for me! Just make sure it's not too hot...burning your eyelid would suck.

Any other mascara recommendations out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! Let's have a discussion!
- Becky