Friday, January 20, 2012

Smashbox Photofinish Hydrating Primer review

We had been having a very warm winter so far in Chicago, up until about two weeks ago when it finally started dipping below the thirties. The harsh effects of winter finally began taking its toll on my skin. I had been using a Bare Minerals primer for several months, but last week I noticed that it just wasn't cutting it anymore. Dry patches on my face were just being accentuated by my foundation, and my makeup would flake off throughout the day. Not a pretty look.
Then, on a trip to Ulta, a sales clerk broadened my horizons and told me that Smashbox had a line of primers for different skin types, including a moisturizing one for dry skin. I almost jumped for joy. Until I noticed the $42 price tag. "Are you out of your mind?" I inquired with my eyes to the nice sales clerk. "Forty-two dollars for a one-ounce tube of blue goop?"
But oh, what precious blue goop it turned out to be.
I swallowed the lump in my throat as I pulled out some of my hard-earned birthday money out of my purse at the cash register. After plunking the red bag down in my bathroom when I got home, I promptly forgot about it until the next morning. After splashing some water on my face, I took a small squeeze of the primer and smoothed it onto my face.

It was love at first swipe. It felt so calming and hydrating to my thirsty skin. It absorbed very quickly, leaving a slightly tacky surface for my foundation to adhere to. I immediately noticed a difference in the way my skin looked after my foundation was applied. It looked healthier and more glowy. By the end of the day, my makeup was still fully intact and with no dry flakes!

If you have dry winter skin (or dry skin in general), I couldn't recommend Smashbox Photofinish Hydrating Primer enough. I think I'll switch back to my $18 primer when the weather gets warm again though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! Let's have a discussion!
- Becky